Friday, July 25, 2014

Moroccan Sand Cookies



Sand cookies? That can’t possibly be good, can it? I came across these and they are about the simplest recipe I have ever made. Just 4 ingredients, and as long as you have a food processor, grinding nuts is no problem. This recipe gives you the option of using nuts of your choosing. I had some shelled pistachios, so I ended using those. I’m not sure if my pistachios are exactly Moroccan, they are probably from California.

I just wanted to bake a small batch so I halved this recipe and made just under 2 dozen cookies. You can mix them by hand using a spatula or in the mixer; I used my mixer because my other mixing bowl was in the wash. They come together in just a minute or two. The original recipe said to shape in small balls, but the dough is so soft and it worked better to just scoop the cookies using a small cookie scoop.

I baked mine at 350 degrees, because I misread the recipe, which said to bake the cookies at 320 degrees. Mine came out perfectly at 350 after 10 minutes, so that’s what I wrote in my version of the recipe. The cookies don’t get very browned, but they were firm when they came out of the oven and just brown along the edges. If you brown these cookies they would lose their sand texture. These cookies remind me a lot of Russian teacakes, which I love. The melt in your mouth but have an intense pistachio flavor. These cookies are a winner!

Moroccan Sand Cookies
1 cup vegetable oil
1 cup powdered sugar
1 cup ground nuts (I used pistachios)
2 cups + 1 tablespoon flour
Additional nuts, for topping

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line two baking sheets with silicon baking mats.

In a large bowl, combine the oil, powdered sugar and ground nuts. Stir until well combined. Add the flour and mix until incorporated.

Scoop the dough using a small cookie scoop onto the prepared baking sheets. Top with a nut (or piece of a nut) if desired.

Bake for about 10 minutes, until just barely browned around the edges. Cool on the baking sheets for 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.

Recipe from Mamaland Island

No comments: