Friday, September 12, 2014

Kahlua Brownies



My husband came across this recipe and set it to me. It looked like a great classic brownie with a twist, so I thought they would be great to try. I actually thought about changing these into a Christmas cookie, using the gingerbread Kahlua that I have. In the end, I decided that I’d just follow the recipe as it was. I do need to think of some recipes to use the gingerbread Kahlua!

These brownies use chocolate chips as the chocolate, which is a bit unusual. Luckily, I have lots of chocolate chips, so that was easy. This isn’t quite a one bowl brownie, but it’s fairly close. You melt the chocolate and butter in one bowl and then mix the rest in the mixer. I was thinking that this makes a lot of dough for a 9” square pan, but in the end you get nice, thick brownies. I didn’t brush additional Kahlua on the brownies when they came out of the oven, mainly because I forgot. I’m sure that would add even more to these brownies!

The frosting I first made as the recipe specified, but it was way too thick. I added some milk and it was better, and in the end I added about 2 tablespoons milk to get the frosting to a workable consistency. I cut the bars into 25 squares, but they are pretty large as the brownies are so thick. I think I should have cut them a little smaller. The Kahlua flavor is fabulous, and it’s just right paired with the fudgy brownie.

Kahlua Brownies
1 cup butter
2 cups chocolate chips
1 1/2 cups brown sugar
2 eggs
1/2 cup Kahlua
2 1/2 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt

1/4 cup butter, room temperature
3 tablespoons Kahlua
2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1-2 tablespoons milk, if needed

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Line a 9” square baking pan with foil and spray with nonstick cooking spray.

Melt the butter and chocolate chips in the microwave or in the top of a double boiler.  Allow to cool 5 minutes. In a large mixer bowl, beat the brown sugar and eggs on medium. Stir in the Kahlua and the chocolate/butter mixture. Stir until smooth. Add the flour, baking powder and salt; stir on low just until the flour is incorporated into the dough. Spread into the prepared pan.

Bake for 40-45 minutes, until toothpick inserted in center comes out with only a few crumbs clinging to it. Remove from the oven and place on a wire rack. If desired, prick the brownies with a toothpick and brush with additional Kahlua.

Make the frosting: in a large mixer bowl beat the butter and Kahlua on medium. Add the powdered sugar, first beating on low and then increase the speed to medium. If the frosting is too thick, add a tablespoon or two of milk. If the frosting is too thin, add additional powdered sugar.

Remove the brownies from the pan and peel away the foil. Frost with the Kahlua frosting. Cut into bars.

Recipe from Wallflour Girl

No comments: