Friday, October 17, 2014

Pumpkin Spice Molasses Cookies




So fall is here, and I’m making sure that I hit the major fall baking flavors. I’ve made spice cookies, last week I made apple cookies and this week I am checking off the pumpkin category. I have to admit that I am not the biggest fan of pumpkin. These cookies don’t contain a lot of pumpkin, and the pumpkin is combined with molasses and spices, which I like, so I figured I would give them a go. I was also interested in trying the Pumpkin Spice chips. I found them at Target and they are a seasonal specialty, but you could probably substitute cinnamon or butterscotch chips if you wanted.

This cookie recipe is simple, pretty much a chocolate chip cookie recipe with the added pumpkin, molasses and spices. Like most spice cookies, they need time for the flavors to come together, so don’t skip the refrigeration step. I ended up making the dough when I got home from work and then let them chill while we had dinner and watched a little tv. The dough was still sticky, but some dough is just that way. I like the flavor of these, but I don’t think that you can taste the pumpkin all that much. The chips taste like white chocolate chips with some spiced added. These are tasty cookies, and while they are perfect for fall, they don’t really scream pumpkin.

Pumpkin Spice Molasses Cookies
2-1/3 cup flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon cinnamon
¼ teaspoon ginger
½ cup butter, room temperature
1 cup sugar
½ cup pumpkin puree
¼ cup molasses
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 10 ounce package Pumpkin Spice Chips
Additional sugar

In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and ginger. In a large mixer bowl, beat the butter and sugar until creamy. Add the pumpkin puree, molasses, egg, and vanilla. Mix on medium until combined. The mixture may look a little lumpy. With the mixer running on low, gradually add the flour mixture. Stir in the Pumpkin Spice chips.

Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least an hour.

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line two baking sheets with silicone baking mats.

Shape the dough into 1-1/4” balls and roll in additional sugar. Place on the prepared baking sheets. Bake for 11-13 minutes, until set. Allow to cool on the baking sheets for a few minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.

Recipe from Nestle.

No comments: