Friday, November 21, 2014

Iced Oatmeal Cookies



As much as I like to bake, there are still some types of cookies that I buy at the store. There are just some things that you can’t replicate at home. One of my favorites is iced oatmeal cookies. They have a crispness that I just don’t think that you can replicate at home. I had made another version of iced oatmeal cookies a while ago, but this recipe was quite different. 

With the amount of ingredients in these cookies (2 cups of oats, 2 cups of flour, a cup of butter) I was worried that this would make a ton of cookies. I did make mine smaller than the original recipe specified, and I got about 4-1/2 dozen cookies. I was worried I’d be baking cookies all night! You pulse the oats in the food processor and I was curious how that would change the cookie. You still see the texture of the oats, but it’s a finer texture.

After last week’s cookies that were so complex, this week I opted for something simpler. Yes, it does take some patience to glaze all of the cookies, but it wasn’t too bad. These cookies aren’t as crisp as the store bought cookie, but the taste is quite close. My glaze was perhaps too thin, so they look a little different, but the thinner glaze was easier to use. I really enjoyed making these cookies and they taste great!

Iced Oatmeal Cookies
2 cups oats
2 cups flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons cinnamon
½ teaspoon nutmeg
1 cup butter, room temperature
1 cup packed brown sugar
½ cup sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla

2 cups powdered sugar
3 tablespoons milk

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line two baking sheets with silicone baking mats.

Place the oats in a food processor and pulse about 10 times. Transfer to a medium bowl and add the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg, set aside. In a large mixer bowl beat the butter, brown sugar, and sugar until light. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating for one minute after each addition. Stir in the vanilla. With the mixer running on low, gradually add the oat/flour mixture. Beat until incorporated; you may need to stir with a spatula to fully incorporate all of the dry ingredients.

Shape the dough into 1-1/2” balls and place on the prepared baking sheets. The cookies spread, so leave about 2” between each cookie.

Bake for 10-12 minutes, until lightly browned on the edges. Allow the cookies to cool on the baking sheets for 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.

Glaze the cookies: in a medium bowl, whisk together the powdered sugar and milk. Dip the cookies in the glaze, allowing the extra glaze to drip back in the bowl. Allow the glaze to set before serving.

Recipe from Mother Thyme

No comments: