Friday, November 7, 2014

Oatmeal M&M Cookies



Ok, so this week I am using up leftover Halloween in my baking! We only bought one bag of candy, although it WAS a big bag, but we didn’t have any kids come to the door. It was so disappointing. We don’t have a lot of kids in the neighborhood, but still, you always hope that someone will come. We had left over M&Ms, Twix and Snickers. I knew I could make some type of M&M cookies, so I went searching for something different than what I had made before.

I’ve made sugar cookies with M&Ms and two types of M&M bar cookies, but I hadn’t made an oatmeal cookie. It fall, the weather is blustery, so oatmeal cookies sound just right. My friend at work loves M&M cookies and I was talking about how I’d made them before, but she said I could always make more M&M cookies. 

This dough is classic. Nothing unusual except the M&Ms. I used regular sized candies, but the original recipe said you could use mini or regular size. I chilled the dough for a little over an hour, which helped the cookies maintain their shape while baking. I wasn’t sure about the cinnamon in the dough, but it goes well with the chocolate candies. I was surprised that I liked it as much as I did. So maybe you’re like me and you have candy left over; these cookies are the perfect way to use it all up!

Oatmeal M&M Cookies
1/2 cup butter, room temperature
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup sugar
1 egg
2 teaspoons vanilla
1-2/3 cups oats
1 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup M&Ms

In a large mixer bowl, cream the butter, brown sugar, and sugar until light. Add the egg and vanilla and mix on medium until incorporated. Add the oats, flour, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt. Mix on low until combined. The dough will be thick. Stir in the M&Ms with a spatula.

Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Line two baking sheets with silicone baking mats.

Shape the dough into 1-1/2” balls and place on the prepared baking sheets. Bake form 10-12 minutes, until the cookies are barely browned on the edges and the tops look dry. Allow to cool on the baking sheets for several minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.


1 comment:

Unknown said...

YUM! I love cookies with M&Ms in them!