Friday, January 23, 2015

Oatmeal Pistachio Cranberry Cookies



I wasn’t sure what type of cookies to make this week. After all the excitement of December we’re back to the regular routine and I just wasn’t sure what sounded good. I asked my husband to pick a few cookies that sounded good to him. He found a couple of winter-themed cookies and these were the ones that sounded best to me. I love the combination of cranberries and pistachios. Maybe you think of them as a Christmas combination, but I like the combination all year around.

When I first read this recipe, I didn’t see the flour listed in the ingredients. I thought that they would be quite strange with no flour, but then in the end they do have ¾ cup of flour. I think cookies just need the flour to give them some structure! This recipe is very classic, but has the perfect combination of flavors.

Oatmeal Pistachio Cranberry Cookies
3/4 cup flour
1 1/2 cups old-fashioned oats
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 cup butter, room temperature
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 egg
1/3 cup dried cranberries
1/3 cup shelled pistachios, chopped

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line two baking sheets with silicone baking mats.

In a medium bowl combine the flour, oats, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon; set aside. In a large mixer bowl, add the butter brown sugar, and sugar. Beat on medium until light. Add the vanilla and egg and stir until combined. With the mixer running on low, gradually add the flour/oat mixture. Stir in the cranberries and pistachios with a spatula.

Scoop the dough onto the cookies sheets using a 1 tablespoon scoop. Bake for 14-16 minutes, until lightly browned. Allow the cookies to cool on the baking sheets for at least 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.

Recipe from Make and Takes

No comments: