Friday, July 3, 2015

No Bake Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Bars



It continues to be extraordinarily hot in the Pacific Northwest, which makes baking a big challenge. It’s not so much trouble turning the oven on; it’s that I get too warm when I do anything. I have made a couple of different no-bake cookies. These are kind of pushing it to call them cookies, as they are more like a fudge or truffle or something. At any rate, they sounded good so I gave them a try.

I made the dough one day, and then they chilled in the refrigerator until the next day. I then topped them the next morning with the chocolate and let them refrigerate for a couple of hours. I don’t think I would have needed to chill them quite so much if the house temperature were closer to normal. 

I used a little less than 2 cups of chocolate chips for the topping, as I didn’t want the chocolate layer to be too thick. These bars are quite thick (the dough part) and I think that makes them a little hard to eat. They are quite rich so I cut them into fairly small squares; I could have gone even smaller I think. These are very tasty, and a nice treat with such hot weather.

No Bake Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Bars
1/2 cup butter, room temperature
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups flour
14 ounce can sweetened condensed milk
1-1/2 cups mini chocolate chips
1-1/2 cups chocolate chips

Line a 8” or 9” square pan with foil and spray the foil with nonstick cooking spray.

In a large mixer bowl, cream the butter and brown sugar on medium until lights. Add the vanilla and stir to combine. With the mixer running on low, add the flour alternatively with the sweetened condensed milk. Add the mini chocolate chips and stir on low to combine.

Transfer the dough to the pan and spread it evenly. Use an offset spatula or your hands to ensure that the dough is even in the pan. Refrigerate the dough for at least 4 hours (or overnight).

To make the topping, melt the chocolate chips in the microwave or in the top of a double boiler. If microwaving, microwave in 30 second increments, stirring in between, until smooth. Spread the melted chocolate over the dough and smooth the chocolate with the back of a spoon. Return the pan to the refrigerator to allow the chocolate to set, at least 30 minutes.

Life the bars from the pan and peel away the foil. Cut the bars into small squares. Store the bars in the refrigerator.

No comments: