Friday, February 12, 2016

Coconut Oatmeal Cookies



I had the best of plans this week to bake some bar cookies. I did my research, planned a couple of different recipes, and then chose what to bake. I made sure I had all of the needed ingredients and I was ready to go. Unfortunately, I realized that I would be getting home from work too late to have time to make bar cookies, as they need a good amount of time to cool before cutting into bars. I wasn’t organized enough to make them the day before, so on to Plan B.

I thought about what sounded good, and for some reason a coconut cookie sounded good. I knew I had coconut at home, so thankfully I was set. I found this cookie, which combined coconut, oats and nuts, and that sounded like a good wholesome cookie. They are extra coconut-y because the use coconut oil rather than butter or shortening. It was nice I had that on hand too. I was glad to use it up as I’ve been juggling that container around to different places in the cupboard.

Because of the coconut oil, the dough for these cookies is quite soft. I wasn’t sure if they were going to spread while baking, so the first batch I made fairly small cookies. They didn’t spread, so you can make a slightly larger cookie with little worry. They don’t brown much, and you don’t want to over bake these, so watch the time carefully. They do set as they cool, so if you’re worried they aren’t baked enough, you’ll probably be fine.

Coconut Oatmeal Cookies
2 3/4 cup flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup coconut oil (measured solid), melted
1 cup sugar
1 cup packed brown sugar
2 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 cup shredded sweetened coconut
1 cup oats
2/3 cup chopped pecans

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line two baking sheets with silicone baking mats.

In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and the salt; set aside.

In a large mixer bowl, beat on medium the coconut oil, sugar, and brown sugar until well combined. Add the eggs, one at a time, and the vanilla, beating again on medium until incorporated. With the mixer running on low, gradually add the flour mixture. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and add the coconut, oats, and pecans. Stir on low until the dough comes together.

Scoop the dough onto the baking sheet, using about a tablespoon of dough for each cookie.

Bake for 10-12 minutes, until golden. Allow to cool on the baking sheets for 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack.

Recipe from Eat. Drink. Love.

No comments: