Friday, May 13, 2016

Coconut Brookies



I often talk about how I take cookies to work every Friday. Well, my husband also works at the college. I have occasionally taken cookies to his group of coworkers, but it’s been a long time. I understand through the grapevine that the folks over there were wondering why they don’t ever get cookies. When I make a recipe, I usually have enough to take to just one place.

I’ve been at a workshop this week (and a conference last week), so I haven’t brought cookies to work. Since I wasn’t going to be in the office today, I decided to send cookies with my husband. I do hope they enjoy them. I know the last time I baked for them, I had made a cookie that has since become one of my favorites. I’m not sure I can top that.

I thought these would be really nice, fudgy brownies topped with coconut cookie dough. They do dirty a couple more dishes than a normal batch of cookies, but not too bad and I needed to do the dishes anyway. You have to be careful piecing the coconut cookie dough into the top layer. I made a nice even layer, but I think I could have been less precise and the cookies would have been just fine. It’s hard to tell when these are baked enough. I think I baked mine a little too long. The brownie is still fudgy but the coconut cookie part is a touch dry. Together, it works out ok though.

Coconut Brookies
2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
2 ounces semi-sweet chocolate, chopped
3/4 cup butter
1 3/4 cups sugar
3 eggs
1 tablespoon vanilla
2 tablespoons cocoa powder
1 cup flour

3/4 cup butter, room temperature
3/4 cup sugar
1 egg
1 tablespoon vanilla
1 teaspoon coconut extract
2 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup shredded coconut

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a 9” x 13” pan with foil and spray with cooking spray.

Make the brownies: In a microwave or in a double boiler, melt the unsweetened chocolate, semi-sweet chocolate and butter, stirring until smooth. Transfer to a medium mixing bowl. Whisk in the sugar, eggs, and vanilla. Add the cocoa powder and flour and stir with a spatula until the flour disappears into the batter. Spread the batter into the prepared pan.

Make the cookies: In a large mixer bowl, beat the butter and sugar on medium until smooth. Add the egg, vanilla, and coconut extract and stir to combine. Add the flour, baking soda, cream of tartar, and salt and stir on low. Add the coconut and stir until the dough comes together.

Working with small amounts of dough at a time, flatten the dough and place it on top of the brownie batter. Continue piecing together the dough and press the cookie dough edges together until the brownie batter is completely covered.

Bake for 35-40 minutes until the coconut cookie dough is dark golden brown. (The brownies will not test done, but will firm up as the cookies cool.) Cool completely on a wire rack. Lift the cooled brownies from the pan and peel away the foil. Cut into squares.

Recipe from Crazy for Crust

No comments: