Friday, February 17, 2017

Oatmeal Almond Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies



I have been looking at a lot of different recipes today, trying to find a recipe with no dairy. My friend at work can’t have dairy, so she never gets to try the cookies that I bake. I never get upset if people don’t eat my cookies, for whatever reason. I bake because I want to share with people, and it’s up to them if they want to try it. I was at Whole Foods and I picked up some dairy free chocolate chips, so that was the first step.

Most recipes contain dairy in the form of butter, and you could just use margarine, shortening, or coconut oil, and sometimes that works and sometimes it doesn’t. I found this recipe that uses almond butter in place of butter or an alternative. Additionally, these don’t contain any flour, so they are gluten free. The texture of the dough is very different from most cookies I make, but they bake up just fine.

This dough is super, super sticky! I was not sure that they would turn out. I baked up a batch, and figured that I could add some flour if needed. (No one at work is gluten free.) I felt like they were just fine. They don’t really brown like most cookies (no butter), but they are set when they come out of the oven. The cookies do maintain a bit of stickiness even when baked, but not too bad. They have a very nice chocolate chip cookie flavor. While the texture of the cookies is a little different, they taste really good!

Oatmeal Almond Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies
2/3 cup old fashioned oats
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 cup almond butter
2/3 cup packed brown sugar
2 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla
2/3 cup chocolate chips

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line 2 baking sheets with silicone baking mats.

In a small bowl, combine the oats, baking soda, salt and cinnamon. In a large mixer bowl, combine the almond butter, brown sugar, eggs, and vanilla. Mix on medium for 2 minutes. With the mixer running on low, gradually add the oat mixture. Stir in the chocolate chips. The dough will be sticky.

Scoop the dough onto the prepared baking sheets. Bake for 9-10 minutes. The cookies will be puffy and look slightly under baked, but will set as they cool. Cool on the baking sheets for 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.

Recipe from Meaningful Eats

No comments: