Friday, July 21, 2017

Apple Peanut Butter Cookies



I have been visiting farmer’s markets this summer, and sometimes pick up fruit that is in season to use in baking. I love doing that, but then I am not as inspired to bake during the summer since the house runs warm. I had some cherries, that I had planned to make a Bundt cake. I then decided to make some cookies with the cherries, but they turned out terribly! On to the next plan!

I had a lunch meeting this week and the standard campus box lunch comes with a small apple. At least they are a decent variety of apple, and not horrible red delicious apples! I didn’t eat my apple, but I figured I could use it in a recipe. I did a quick search and came across this recipe and I was intrigued. I needed 2/3 cup apple, so I grabbed a second apple that had been left behind.

Apple and peanut butter isn’t an odd combination, but I’d not seen it in a cookie before. You see a lot of banana and peanut butter concoctions, but I really dislike bananas. This is a simple recipe, and it is also dairy free, with shortening instead of butter. I mixed them up as the original recipe stated, and it was crumbly and dry as a bone. I was using a different mixer paddle than I usually do, but I don’t think that would make that much of a difference. I added a second egg and the dough was still crumbly but it held together to bake. These are quite nice, soft. I think you could add some peanut butter chips or some chopped peanuts if you wanted some texture, but they are good as they are.

Apple Peanut Butter Cookies
1/4 cup shortening
1/2 cup peanut butter
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
2 eggs
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
2/3 cup finely chopped, peeled apple

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line two baking sheets with silicone baking mats.

In a large mixer bowl, cream the shortening, peanut butter, sugar, and brown sugar on medium until light. Add the eggs and vanilla and mix on medium until incorporated. In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon. With the mixer running on low, gradually add the flour mixture. The mixture will be somewhat crumbly. Stir in the diced apples with a spatula.

Scoop onto the prepared baking sheets, using about 1-1/2 tablespoons for each cookie. Flatten each ball of dough slightly with the palm of your hand.

Bake for 12-13 minutes, until set. Allow the cookies to set on the baking sheets for 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.

No comments: